News of Interest to Performers and Patrons of the Arts
Saturday July 11th, 2015 8am - 2pm
Saturday April 25th at 3:00 pm
10 Walnut St. in Oneonta, NY
Click here for media release.
Dox Apprenticeship Program
Student Application & Teacher Recommendation Form
About the Dox Apprenticeship Program
HistoryThis program for high school students was established in fall 1993, in honor of the Catskill Choral Society’s former music director, Thurston Dox. The Apprenticeship Program is dedicated to carrying on his life-long commitment to enrich the musical experiences of young people.
Over 130 students have participated in this program since its inception. The program has included students from the school districts of Andes, Bainbridge/Guilford, Cherry Valley/Springfield, Cobleskill, Cooperstown, Delhi, Franklin, Gilbertsville/Mt. Upton, Jefferson, Laurens, Milford, Morris, Norwich, Oneonta, Sidney, South Kortright, Unatego, Walton and Worcester.
The 70 member Choral Society draws members from a three-county area and has performed a repertoire of classical and innovative choral works since 1970.
Who should apply?Singers who are sophomores, juniors or seniors in fall 2015 are eligible for consideration.
We seek applicants who have solid musical skills, a commitment to choral performance, and a strong level of maturity and responsibility.
Applicants must be able to commit to our weekly rehearsal schedule and private voice lessons and be available for all dress rehearsals and performances, as noted in “the details” noted below.
What does the program offer?The program provides the opportunity for apprentices to perform with an accomplished adult chorus, and to receive private voice lessons with a professional voice teacher to develop their vocal technique and to support them with preparing for the concert.
Students receive two complimentary tickets to the concert, and an invitation to continue singing with the Choral Society, without dues, for an additional semester following their participation as an apprentice.
A certificate of completion is awarded to students who have successfully completed the program which can be added to their resume for college applications, etc.
- Complete the attached application and submit as noted on the form.
- A written recommendation from your school music teacher, choir director or vocal coach is required.
- Auditions will be held in Oneonta May 21, 2015 beginning 6 pm (exact location TBA). Interested students should contact Peg (contact info below) as soon as possible to receive details of audition time and place.
- Applicants are expected to prepare a solo selection chosen from classical repertoire to perform. An accompanist will be provided; students are responsible for bringing a copy of their selection for the accompanist. Auditions may also include checking vocal range, matching pitches, and basic sight-reading.
Rehearsal and Concert Schedule / Attendance Requirements.
- Rehearsals will be held on Thursday evenings, 7:00 – 9:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church, 12 Ford Ave., Oneonta. Rehearsals will begin on Thursday August 20, 2015. In addition, a full day Saturday rehearsal is scheduled for September 19, 2015, at the Hartwick College Music Circle. There will be dress rehearsals on the Tuesday and Thursday leading up to the concert weekend. Attendance at dress rehearsals is mandatory.
- The Fall 2015 concert dates are Friday November 20 and Sunday November 22.
- Apprentices are expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals and voice lessons. Singers who miss 4 rehearsals must meet with the music director so he can determine their level of preparedness and eligibility to continue with the program. Singers will not be permitted to continue if more than 4 rehearsals are missed.
- Apprentices who are unable to complete the rehearsal cycles and perform in the concerts, will be ineligible to continue with their voice lessons beyond the date of withdrawal, and may be held liable for the cost of voice lessons already received. Students must complete their voice lessons by the concert date in order to be recognized as completing the Apprenticeship Program.
Vocal InstructionApprentices select a voice teacher from our team of professionals or arrangements can be made for participants to continue vocal instruction with their own teacher if desired. Six hours of voice lessons are provided, which are often divided into 12 half-hour or 9 forty-five minute sessions. Students accepted to the program will be given a list of contact information for the coaches and are expected to contact their chosen coach independently in order to set their lesson schedule. Students must understand that they are to be on time for lessons, be prepared for each lesson, having completed assignments given by their teachers, and notify their teachers in advance if they are not able to attend a session.
CostThe Catskill Choral Society covers the cost of membership, music scores, and vocal instruction. Students need to provide concert dress – black suits, black bow tie for men; women are required to wear the Choral Society women’s concert dress. Apprentices may either borrow a dress, returning it following concerts, or purchase the dress at a cost of $58.
Questions? Contact Peg Twasutyn, 432-6695; e-mail email@example.com
The concert dates are:
Friday April 24th, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Saturday April 25th at 3:00 pm
Ticket prices: Adults $19, Seniors $15, Students $12
Click here for the show poster.
ONEONTA — Make singing a New Year’s resolution for the whole family!
Catskill Choral Society — bringing 44 seasons of quality choral masterworks to the region with its spring and holiday concerts — invites singers from around the area to audition for the upcoming 2015 concerts. This coming spring R. Colin Armstrong, DMA, will conduct Franz Joseph Haydn’s Missa in Angustiis, more commonly referred to as the Lord Nelson Mass, and later in the year Marc- Antoine Charpentier’s Messe de Minuit (Midnight Mass) will be performed to mark the beginning of the holidays. Both choral works, written in Classical and Baroque styles respectively, feature soloists and orchestra and promise to inspire and enthrall singers and audience members alike.
Click here for the show poster.
And for area high school students entering 10th, 11th and 12th grades, find out here how you can be a part of Catskill Choral Society through our Dox Apprenticeship Program! Click Here!